Dr. Avhad's Blog
Sitting is the new Smoking
Low back pain is affecting younger population much more now than before. And the primary root cause is increased digitalization of the world around us. Continuous sitting since high school years for hours staring at a screen will not only affect lower back but also your neck. Add to this the epidemic of obesity in our country.
5 Tips to maintain healthy Spine
1. Maintain core strength
2. Regular exercise like Walking/Swimming/Yoga
3. Use sit-to-stand desk at work
4. Weight loss, Smoking cessation and Diabetic control will have positive effect on the disks and spinal nerves
5. Know when to STOP adding more weights in the gym
Tips to maintain healthy Joints
1. Maintaining core strength for the shoulder girdle and the pelvic girdle
2. Brisk-walking is highly recommended for lower-extremity joints - USE IT OR LOSE IT!
3. Weight loss, Smoking cessation and Diabetic control will have positive effect on the joint cartilage
4. Knowing when to STOP high-impact exercises
Manage pain without Medications
1. Yoga, Meditation, Acupuncture, Low-impact exercise on a daily basis, bio-feedback, counseling
2. Healthy diet and active lifestyle
3. Vitamins and supplements
Above interventions, especially, routine exercise as prescribed by the doctor and physical therapist will stimulate secretions of endorphins and enkephalins from the brain. These will have similar impact as that of the prescribed medications.